Subject: bug#65023: 29.1.50; Tramp 2.6.1.1 cannot be installed as ELPA package

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2023 17:28:36 +0200

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jim,

>> This makes the 'package-data' argument never be nil, which avoids
>> running the broken code. I'd be a little worried about publishing this
>> without further testing, but hopefully it (or something like it) could
>> be a solution until 29.2 is released...
>
> I've tried to apply this change, but it doesn't work as expected yet.

Finally, I've decided to add the following to the Tramp README on ELPA:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Mitigation of a bug in Emacs 29.1
*********************************

Due to a bug in Emacs 29.1, you must apply the following change prior
installation or upgrading Tramp 2.6.1.1a from GNU ELPA:

     (when (string-equal emacs-version "29.1")
       (with-current-buffer
           (url-retrieve-synchronously
            "https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/plain/lisp/emacs-lisp/loaddefs-gen.el?h=emacs-29")
         (goto-char (point-min))
         (while (looking-at "^.+$") (forward-line))
         (eval-region (point) (point-max))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

In order to make it visible, I've released Tramp 2.6.1.1a.

Best regards, Michael.