Subject: Re: bug#65014: Configure Default Values

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 21:31:02 +0800

Jacob Faibussowitsch <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> TL;DR: What packages does configure enable by default, i.e. do not
> require a --with-PACKAGE flag to explicitly enable? Moreover, what are
> the best practices for configuring emacs that don’t require min-maxing
> your configuration options every time.
>
> ——
>
> I like to configure my emacs install to be as (reasonably) fully
> featured as possible, so I peruse the ./configure --help options from
> time to time to see if any new packages are available. If I notice a
> package I don’t have in my list of --with-package I add it, and
> reconfigure.
>
> But my configure command is now pretty long, and it strikes me that
> this brittle in the face of changes to configure. Suppose there is a
> change in best practices, and now --with-FOO is better than
> --with-BAR, but because I have --with-BAR (and forgot to remove it),
> configure won’t look for FOO. My emacs conf will be slightly
> suboptimal (perish the thought!) and I won’t be any the wiser.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jacob Faibussowitsch
> (Jacob Fai - booss - oh - vitch)

Hi, questions about building Emacs should be directed to
[email-masked], not the bug tracker.  To answer them, however,
refer to INSTALL, which explains available configuration options in
detail.

Generally speaking, running `configure' without any arguments will
produce an Emacs with a configuration that is reasonable for most
users.