Subject: bug#65006: 29.1.50; c-ts-mode: else block not indented right on TAB

From: john muhl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2023 14:26:11 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maybe we should track all those discussions, and voice our opinion
> against changes whose reasons are not strong enough to justify
> breakage?  For example, this particular PR was around since Sep 2022,
> so we should have had ample time to voice our objections.
>
> And anyway, this again raises the issue of Someone™ volunteering to
> keep track of these developments.  We already have 14 TS-based modes
> in Emacs (on master), so this is not a trivial job, I think.

I’m now subscribed to all of the relevant grammar repos and will try to
keep up with changes there. I’m probably not the right person to voice
an opinion on them without consulting higher authorities but hopefully
that part won’t be required very often.

> I agree that we have a problem here.  The only question is how to
> solve it in a reasonable way that will hold given our development and
> release schedules, and given the schedules of users and distros
> upgrading the Emacs versions.

Do you think the benefit of having ts modes be core packages would be
enough to justify whatever extra work that entails? It wouldn’t help
with syncing up release schedules but “install the latest version from
ELPA” might be enough better of an answer than “wait for the next Emacs
release or build from master” for most people.