Subject: Re: bug#64998: 29.1; `emoji-search' (C-x 8 e s) command can not be repeated using `repeat' (C-x z)

From: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 22:57:44 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>

>> Support implemented in 502e7c9a9b34c74b1b99f9e2f13a75f03dabba18 (and
>> a little follow up commit to fix a last minute hiccup).
>
> Thanks!
>
> I see you installed this on master.  I would like to fix this on the
> emacs-29 branch instead, since these commands are new in Emacs 29.  Do
> you think it's okay to cherry-pick your two commits to emacs-29?

Yes, that should be totally safe, even without the changes since the
Transient version in Emacs 29.1.

> I'm
> asking because AFAIR you made some changes in transient.el on master,
> and I'm not sure whether the fixes you made today need those changes
> to work.

I've installed those on emacs-29 as well.  I hope that is okay.  The
changes are mostly bug fixes, with some non-code changes sprinkled in,
though one of the bugfixes also comes with a breaking change.  (But that
was necessary to fix a bug and only has the potential to affect the most
obscure uses of transient.  I had planned to do that before the Emacs
29.1 release, but then that was suddenly there 🤩 *).

Going forward there will also be non-bugfixes again, I guess I'll have
to stop merging into emacs-29, once I get there?  Keeping two "built-in"
versions in sync with the version in my repository is more work, but it
probably won't be that bad.

By the way, my commit that added two variants of transient--wrap-command
for different Emacs releases was a mistake.  I intend to just keep the
respective appropriate version in the emacs-29 and master branches and
use static-if in my repository.  Once I've done that, I'll have to keep
three slightly different versions in sync anyway.

* In honor of my recent work on emoji.el. 😂😂😂😂😂 **
** Thanks to that it is now easy to repeat the same emoji.
   I wonder whether that is a good thing. 😉