Subject: bug#6499: 23.1; Emacs gets stuck waiting for menu input

From: Tobias Bading <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:33:55 +0200

On 16.07.2010 14:50, Jan Djärv wrote:
> Sven Joachim skrev 2010-07-16 12.50:
>> reopen 6499
>>
>> This is indeed very annoying. I'm reopening the bug as the cure seems
>> worse than the disease.
>>
>
> Don't do this unless you are absolutley sure the bug fix is in, which in
> this case it isn't. This is the trunk. If you can't stand breakage,
> sometimes for several weeks, use a stable release. This is getting silly.
>
> Jan D.

Jan,

I don't know what policy the Emacs developers have agreed upon regarding 
the trunk, but all projects I've been working for so far probably would 
not accept a "If you can't stand breakage, sometimes for several weeks, 
use a stable release." attitude. Usually, extensive work is done on 
branches, especially if it stands a good chance of breaking stuff. But 
maybe the Emacs devs have agreed upon another policy...

Anyway, your patch causes more problems for me than it solves. That 
might be a problem of my specific Ubuntu configuration, GTK version or 
whatever. Would you at least be so kind to comment on that? Since you 
closed the bug again, you seem to be damn sure that your bug is fine and 
has no negative side-effects whatsoever.

Regards,
Tobias