Subject: bug#65246: closed (Re: bug#64989: 29.1; Comment or uncomment lines in elisp-mode will show message in minibuffer)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:14:03 +0000

Your bug report

#64989: comment-or-uncomment-region breaks buffer-undo-list on visiting file

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64989: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64989
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#64989: 29.1; Comment or uncomment lines in elisp-mode will show message in minibuffer
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eason Huang <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:13:24 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> That would work as well.  The patch below should do the trick, tho, if
> you prefer to keep changes to a minimum.

Pushed to `emacs-29`.

        Stefan

Subject: comment-or-uncomment-region breaks buffer-undo-list on visiting file
From: Rittwik Chatterjee <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 19:01:17 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

From: Rittwik Chatterjee <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 29.1; comment-or-uncomment-region breaks buffer-undo-list on
visiting file
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 18:58:00 +0530
Message-ID: <[email-masked]
--text follows this line--

1. emacs -Q
2. C-x C-f and visit any file
3. select any region (using mouse or keyboard)
4. M-x comment-or-uncomment-region
   I get the message "combine-change-calls: buffer-undo-list broken"

Interstingly, if I select anything in scratch buffer and run
comment-or-uncomment-region everything is fine.
It seems that the bug is affecting only when I am visiting a "real" file.

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38,
cairo version 1.17.8)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: ArcoLinux

Configured using:
 'configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --with-tree-sitter --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo
 --disable-build-details --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd
 --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection -g
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 36264 9073)
 (symbols 48 5151 0)
 (strings 32 13156 2189)
 (string-bytes 1 374069)
 (vectors 16 9325)
 (vector-slots 8 148981 13250)
 (floats 8 21 23)
 (intervals 56 238 0)
 (buffers 984 10))