Subject: Re: bug#64978: 29.1.50; C-g doesn't produce sound on PGTK

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2023 14:26:38 +0800

Daan Ro <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1. `emacs -Q`
> 2. Press "C-g"
>
> Expected: Emacs beeps, like the X build.
>
> Observed: silence.
>
> In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38,
> cairo version 1.17.8)
> System Description: Arch Linux

What Wayland compositor is installed on your system?

The X build ``beeps'' with Xkb or the X protocol, which in fact results
in a beep event being sent to a listening audio server module that plays
a user configurable sound each time it registers such an event.

On Wayland, GDK is responsible for playing the beep sound through the
Wayland protocol.  I don't really know how that part works, but it's
unlikely that any failures there can be fixed by us Emacs developers.