Subject: bug#64978: closed (Re: bug#64978: 29.1.50; C-g doesn't produce sound on PGTK)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 15:35:02 +0000

Your bug report

#64978: 29.1.50; C-g doesn't produce sound on PGTK

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64978: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64978
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#64978: 29.1.50; C-g doesn't produce sound on PGTK
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Cc: Daan Ro <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 08:34:37 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> The X build ``beeps'' with Xkb or the X protocol, which in fact results
> in a beep event being sent to a listening audio server module that plays
> a user configurable sound each time it registers such an event.
>
> On Wayland, GDK is responsible for playing the beep sound through the
> Wayland protocol.  I don't really know how that part works, but it's
> unlikely that any failures there can be fixed by us Emacs developers.

Daan Ro <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thank you, I am on KDE Plasma 5.27 (Wayland).
>
> Indeed after switching to GNOME and configuring event sound, I can get the
> desired beep.
>
> But by still leaving the config as-is and switching to Plasma or Hyprland, the
> sound is gone again.

So this doesn't sound like a bug in Emacs, and I'm closing this bug.

If this conclusion is incorrect and this is still an issue, please reply
to this email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can
reopen the bug report.

Subject: 29.1.50; C-g doesn't produce sound on PGTK
From: Daan Ro <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 23:09:00 +0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. `emacs -Q`
2. Press "C-g"

Expected: Emacs beeps, like the X build.
Observed: silence.

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38,
cairo version 1.17.8)
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
'configure --with-pgtk --with-native-compilation=aot --sysconfdir=/etc
--prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib --with-tree-sitter
--localstatedir=/var --with-cairo --disable-build-details
--with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd --with-modules
'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64-v3 -O3 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
-Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
-fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -mpclmul -g
-ffile-prefix-map=/startdir/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto
-falign-functions=32'
'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now,-z,pack-relative-relocs
-flto=auto -falign-functions=32' 'CXXFLAGS=-march=x86-64-v3 -O3 -pipe
-fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat
-Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection
-mpclmul -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -g
-ffile-prefix-map=/startdir/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto
-falign-functions=32''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental
Minor modes in effect:
global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
winner-mode: t
minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
savehist-mode: t
recentf-mode: t
delete-selection-mode: t
cua-mode: t
electric-pair-mode: t
fido-vertical-mode: t
icomplete-vertical-mode: t
icomplete-mode: t
fido-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
buffer-read-only: t
line-number-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils comp comp-cstr
warnings rx cl-seq cl-extra help-mode bytecomp byte-compile emacs-my-q
display-line-numbers winner ring mb-depth savehist recentf tree-widget
modus-vivendi-theme modus-themes cl-macs gv pcase subr-x cus-edit pp
cus-start cus-load icons wid-edit delsel cua-base elec-pair icomplete
cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 190446 7044)
(symbols 48 12347 0)
(strings 32 29785 2145)
(string-bytes 1 935143)
(vectors 16 18362)
(vector-slots 8 372540 13988)
(floats 8 80 19)
(intervals 56 419 0)
(buffers 984 12))

Daanturo