Subject: Re: guix build: error: invalid character `~' in name

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 21:55:16 +0200

Certain characters are not allowed in store item[0] names.  This 
restriction was inherited verbatim[1] from Nix.

As such there's no bug here, although you could start a separate 
discussion about relaxing these restrictions if you like.

So what to do?  url-fetch defaults to the URL's basename as file name, 
but you can specify a different one.  For example:

   (source
     (method …)
     (uri …)
     (file-name (string-append name "-" version ".tar.gz"))
     (sha256 …))

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

[0]: Top-level file names under /gnu/store.
[1]: 
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/nix/libstore/store-api.cc#n58