Subject: [bug#64958] [PATCH] gnu: Add emacs-chatgpt-shell.

From: Andrew Tropin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2023 13:16:24 +0400

On 2023-07-31 22:03, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:

> Am Sonntag, dem 30.07.2023 um 22:51 +0200 schrieb Wojtek Kosior:
>> Hi!
>> 
>> > * gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm (emacs-chatgpt-shell): New variable.
>> 
>> Doesn't this package effectively recommend a nonfree
>> service-as-a-software-substitute? It'd be better to keep users away
>> from such "services". Also, sorry to say, I'm pretty sure this is
>> against the Free Software Distribution Guidelines
> IANAL, but as far as I understand, having clients for various
> "services" out there, even if those services are not distributed as
> free software, is permissible.  See some social networking applications
> or messengers.  IMHO, we would need a clear guideline for all of them
> rather than singling out ChatGPT even if using it is harmful for
> everyone involved.
>
> Nicolas, Andrew, WDYT?

While I'm not a big fun of popularization of proprietary/non-ethical
services, the clients for those services are often free software and I
don't see a good reason to include some of them and not to include
others.  Also, such software often can be used with different more
ethical backends with compatible API or as an implementation example or
other source of inspiration and hackery.

-- 
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin