Subject: Re: bug#64897: 29.0.91; Bug (and patch) in find-dired-with-command

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:42:50 +0200

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Michael,

> You are correct, it seems I wasted your time: your change didn't
> introduce a regression.  I'm very sorry.

No problem. My main job as Tramp maintainer is to explain other people
their configuration :-)

> Now I can't make sense of the past days.  I particular I don't
> understand why I did not see the quoted file names in find-dired buffers
> until some days ago - although I used find-dired nearly daily, and
> didn't change any related settings.  The problem appeared at the time of
> your patch, but now I can reproduce the same issue with older Emacs
> versions, too.  I must be missing something.

GNU ls has changed its default how to quote special characters in file
names. Likely, you've got a recent version of coreutils on your machine.

This change has raised controversioal discussions, but now it
exists. See <https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/quotes.html>.

> Anyway, what do you think about adding the -N switch to the `ls`
> switches to prevent the broken file lines?  Do you know if it would
> introduce any problems or is not available for all `ls` versions we have
> to expect?

"-N" isn't a default ls option. It doesn't work on my QNAP NAS, for
example (being busybox ls there). See
<https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009696899/utilities/ls.html> for
POSIX conform ls arguments.

> Michael.

Best regards, Michael.