Subject: bug#64897: 29.0.91; Bug (and patch) in find-dired-with-command

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 06:02:35 +0200

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't know what I could do for you. I've reverted
> 7bbd7cae0748958a623f23637b95a6fc9debb8b7 in the emacs-29 branch. Then
> I've started in parallel Emacs from the emacs-29 branch with this
> change, and Emacs from the master branch. Both with option -Q. I've evall'ed
>
> (trace-function-foreground 'start-process)
>
> in both cases, nothing else.

You are correct, it seems I wasted your time: your change didn't
introduce a regression.  I'm very sorry.

Now I can't make sense of the past days.  I particular I don't
understand why I did not see the quoted file names in find-dired buffers
until some days ago - although I used find-dired nearly daily, and
didn't change any related settings.  The problem appeared at the time of
your patch, but now I can reproduce the same issue with older Emacs
versions, too.  I must be missing something.

Anyway, what do you think about adding the -N switch to the `ls`
switches to prevent the broken file lines?  Do you know if it would
introduce any problems or is not available for all `ls` versions we have
to expect?

Michael.