Subject: bug#64887: grep build for windows `grep.exe` not working.

From: Sajjad Ali <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 01:28:02 +0000

successfully build grep for windows on MSYS2. no errors.

but it shows nothing for "grep.exe -h"​, "grep --version"​ or any other supplied argument.
here is what i tried

PS D:\CodePlayground\grep\src> ls

    Directory: D:\CodePlayground\grep\src

-a----         7/27/2023   5:25 AM             20 .gitignore
-a----         7/27/2023   5:25 AM          19731 dfasearch.c
-a----         7/27/2023   6:08 AM          32415 dfasearch.o
-a----         7/27/2023   5:25 AM           1120 die.h
-a----         7/27/2023   6:08 AM            102 egrep
-a----         7/27/2023   5:25 AM            118 egrep.sh
-a----         7/27/2023   6:08 AM            102 fgrep
-a----         7/27/2023   5:33 AM          93542 grep.c
-a----         7/27/2023   6:08 AM        2278983 grep.exe
-a----         7/27/2023   5:25 AM           1197 grep.h
-a----         7/27/2023   6:08 AM         147973 grep.o
-a----         7/27/2023   5:25 AM           7597 kwsearch.c
-a----         7/27/2023   6:08 AM          12404 kwsearch.o
-a----         7/27/2023   5:25 AM          28408 kwset.c
-a----         7/27/2023   5:25 AM           1516 kwset.h
-a----         7/27/2023   6:08 AM         136007 kwset.o
-a----         7/27/2023   6:05 AM          63715 Makefile
-a----         7/27/2023   5:33 AM           2433 Makefile.am
-a----         7/27/2023   5:58 AM          84739 Makefile.in
-a----         7/27/2023   5:33 AM          13713 pcresearch.c
-a----         7/27/2023   5:33 AM           3736 search.h
-a----         7/27/2023   5:33 AM           6919 searchutils.c
-a----         7/27/2023   6:08 AM          16344 searchutils.o
-a----         7/27/2023   5:25 AM           3998 system.h

PS D:\CodePlayground\grep\src> .\grep.exe --version
PS D:\CodePlayground\grep\src> .\grep.exe --help
PS D:\CodePlayground\grep\src> .\grep.exe 'grep' .\grep.c
PS D:\CodePlayground\grep\src>

here are the logs
[https://res-h3.public.cdn.office.net/assets/mail/file-icon/png/txt_16x16.png]logs 1.txt<https://1drv.ms/t/s!Ak1RUL7i7AyEhCm6ntKVRcx90QMS>

Is there a different way to build GNU softwares for windows. because i also build "GNU make"​ but it's also same as "GNU grep​". if there's a better way which you guys recommend you can share it with me.