Subject: Tramp Failed To connect with error "too long for Unix domain socket"

From: Adithya Raman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 15:07:52 -0400

From: Adi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 30.0.50; Tramp Failed To connect with error "too long for Unix
domain socket"
--text follows this line--

After calling 'emacs -Q', and attempting to open a remote file using
'tramp' returns an error:
'
14:57:23.874236 tramp-process-actions (1) # File error: Tramp failed to
connect.  If this happens repeatedly, try
    ‘M-x tramp-cleanup-this-connection’
unix_listener: path
"/var/folders/2_/vd5b18917qqgs6zgs8s6w1h80000gn/T/tramp.41ba1ef501273d38f2dfe01a9fec13c3f3810be6.iGYtFThWhG9Yvon8"
too long for Unix domain socket
14:57:29.281233 tramp-process-actions (3) # Waiting for prompts from remote
shell...failed
14:57:29.282797 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Opening connection nil
for uc using ssh...failed
'

I am running emacs version 30.0.50 and tramp version 2.7.0-pre on a
macOS Ventura 13.4.1

I don't face this error when I attempt to use tramp on my secondary
device which runs a Ubuntu20.04. So I believe this might an issue that
is unique to macOS.

I found a similar bug in
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2015-02/msg00394.html
but details on how it was resolved were a bit confusing.

Regards,
- Adithya

Configured features:
ACL GNUTLS JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG
SQLITE3 THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Outline

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  emms-mode-line-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-display-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  vertico-posframe-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils tramp-cmds
tramp-sh tramp-cache noutline outline time-stamp tramp rx tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat xdg shell pcomplete
parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp display-line-numbers emms-mpris dbus
emms-librefm-stream xml emms-librefm-scrobbler emms-playlist-limit
emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser sort emms-volume easy-mmode emms-volume-sndioctl
emms-volume-mixerctl emms-volume-pulse emms-volume-amixer
emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq
emms-lyrics emms-url time-date emms-streams emms-show-all
emms-tag-editor format-spec emms-tag-tracktag emms-mark emms-mode-line
emms-cache emms-info-native bindat emms-info-exiftool emms-info-tinytag
emms-info-metaflac emms-info-opusinfo emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mpv
emms-playing-time emms-info emms-later-do emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate dired
dired-loaddefs emms-setup emms emms-compat wheatgrass-theme swiper
cl-extra ivy delsel ivy-faces ivy-overlay colir color
modus-vivendi-theme modus-themes cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs eglot external-completion jsonrpc flymake-proc flymake thingatpt
ert pp ewoc debug backtrace help-mode find-func filenotify warnings
icons compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color imenu
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator
xref project ring company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company pcase vertico-posframe
vertico-multiform posframe vertico compat elec-pair finder-inf
company-autoloads org-msg-autoloads htmlize-autoloads
vertico-posframe-autoloads vertico-autoloads popup-autoloads
swiper-autoloads ivy-autoloads posframe-autoloads emms-autoloads info
compat-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1895225 450202)
 (symbols 48 26181 11)
 (strings 32 154325 17446)
 (string-bytes 1 3879117)
 (vectors 16 50867)
 (vector-slots 8 683520 214101)
 (floats 8 257 567)
 (intervals 56 692423 30)
 (buffers 976 12))

--