Subject: bug#64880: closed (Re: bug#64880: Tramp Failed To connect with error "too long for Unix domain socket")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 10:58:02 +0000

Your bug report

#64880: Tramp Failed To connect with error "too long for Unix domain socket"

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64880: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64880
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#64880: Tramp Failed To connect with error "too long for Unix domain socket"
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:56:51 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 30.1

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Adithya,

> Well, this is bug#19702, finally. I forgot about this problem on macOS
> when I made a recent change. Fixed on the master branch (plus a comment
> in order to remember next time :-)
>
> Could you, pls, check?

No further comment, so I'm closing the bug.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: Tramp Failed To connect with error "too long for Unix domain socket"
From: Adithya Raman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 15:07:52 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

From: Adi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 30.0.50; Tramp Failed To connect with error "too long for Unix
domain socket"
--text follows this line--

After calling 'emacs -Q', and attempting to open a remote file using
'tramp' returns an error:
'
14:57:23.874236 tramp-process-actions (1) # File error: Tramp failed to
connect.  If this happens repeatedly, try
    ‘M-x tramp-cleanup-this-connection’
unix_listener: path
"/var/folders/2_/vd5b18917qqgs6zgs8s6w1h80000gn/T/tramp.41ba1ef501273d38f2dfe01a9fec13c3f3810be6.iGYtFThWhG9Yvon8"
too long for Unix domain socket
14:57:29.281233 tramp-process-actions (3) # Waiting for prompts from remote
shell...failed
14:57:29.282797 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Opening connection nil
for uc using ssh...failed
'

I am running emacs version 30.0.50 and tramp version 2.7.0-pre on a
macOS Ventura 13.4.1

I don't face this error when I attempt to use tramp on my secondary
device which runs a Ubuntu20.04. So I believe this might an issue that
is unique to macOS.

I found a similar bug in
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2015-02/msg00394.html
but details on how it was resolved were a bit confusing.

Regards,
- Adithya

Configured features:
ACL GNUTLS JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG
SQLITE3 THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Outline

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  emms-mode-line-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-display-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  vertico-posframe-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils tramp-cmds
tramp-sh tramp-cache noutline outline time-stamp tramp rx tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat xdg shell pcomplete
parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp display-line-numbers emms-mpris dbus
emms-librefm-stream xml emms-librefm-scrobbler emms-playlist-limit
emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser sort emms-volume easy-mmode emms-volume-sndioctl
emms-volume-mixerctl emms-volume-pulse emms-volume-amixer
emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq
emms-lyrics emms-url time-date emms-streams emms-show-all
emms-tag-editor format-spec emms-tag-tracktag emms-mark emms-mode-line
emms-cache emms-info-native bindat emms-info-exiftool emms-info-tinytag
emms-info-metaflac emms-info-opusinfo emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mpv
emms-playing-time emms-info emms-later-do emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate dired
dired-loaddefs emms-setup emms emms-compat wheatgrass-theme swiper
cl-extra ivy delsel ivy-faces ivy-overlay colir color
modus-vivendi-theme modus-themes cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs eglot external-completion jsonrpc flymake-proc flymake thingatpt
ert pp ewoc debug backtrace help-mode find-func filenotify warnings
icons compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color imenu
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator
xref project ring company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company pcase vertico-posframe
vertico-multiform posframe vertico compat elec-pair finder-inf
company-autoloads org-msg-autoloads htmlize-autoloads
vertico-posframe-autoloads vertico-autoloads popup-autoloads
swiper-autoloads ivy-autoloads posframe-autoloads emms-autoloads info
compat-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1895225 450202)
 (symbols 48 26181 11)
 (strings 32 154325 17446)
 (string-bytes 1 3879117)
 (vectors 16 50867)
 (vector-slots 8 683520 214101)
 (floats 8 257 567)
 (intervals 56 692423 30)
 (buffers 976 12))

--