Subject: 28.2; Hangs after M-indent-region to php file with html

From: Oscar Megia López <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 17:10:02 +0200

I added this line to ~/.emacs file:

(setq-default tab-width 1)

I typed these commands to a php file with html in active buffer:

M-sgml-pretty-print
M-whitespace-mode
M-indent-region

and hangs for a while (hours). After I can see a lot of tabs
for each line (1950):

https://bpa.st/PG3Q

I know that could be a Lisp script issue, but emacs must answer is Lisp hangs.

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.36, cairo version 1.17.6)
 of 2023-01-03 built on 2
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd
 --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection -g
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE
XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: es_ES.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  winner-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs term/tmux term/xterm xterm make-mode nroff-mode
conf-mode add-log sh-script executable rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct
rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util
nxml-enc xmltok mhtml-mode css-mode smie eww xdg url-queue shr kinsoku
svg xml puny mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils wid-edit mm-util mail-prsvr color js
dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs enriched mule-util jka-compr info
php-mode mode-local find-func imenu speedbar ezimage dframe cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align php-face time-date
whitespace vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher web-mode advice
disp-table php rx php-project flymake-proc flymake project compile
text-property-search comint ansi-color warnings thingatpt cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs sgml-mode facemenu dom winner ring delsel saveplace
cua-base cus-load savehist desktop frameset package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 354075 19144)
	(symbols 48 22033 2)
	(strings 32 72643 2718)
	(string-bytes 1 2417989)
	(vectors 16 34852)
	(vector-slots 8 565824 10730)
	(floats 8 176 315)
	(intervals 56 20057 3335)
	(buffers 992 155))