Subject: Re: bug#64871: 30.0.50; [FR] Add command and menu item to open user init file

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 20:29:48 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Are people who want to customize Emacs likely to use the
> Options->Customize Emacs menu?  If yes, why not have this one
> additional item there?  If no, why do we have that menu at all?

Users who need to customize Emacs don't necessarily need help to find
their initialization files.

> So we are now using a smartphone as the reference platform for making
> UI decisions?  Smartphones might need a whole new approach to the
> Emacs UI, and a bunch of very different UI decisions.  They should not
> dictate what our UI looks like on desktop and laptop machines.

Actually, the amount of horizontal display area available on smartphones
tends to reflect that of low-resolution desktop displays and computer
terminals.  Emacs UI currently works well on either.

> When did you last look at modern word processors and their tool bars?
> They are, in fact, much more crowded than ours.

Nevertheless, each of those items is used frequently enough to justify
their placement there.  ``Open the configuration file'' is not, at least
in Emacs.

> We decided it would be a good idea long ago, and are since waiting for
> Someone™ to actually make that happen.  IMNSHO, this is more important
> than having Emacs run on Android (hint, hint).

Well, I need the latter, but not the former.  So I'm currently more
inclined to make the latter happen, sorry :)