Subject: Re: bug#64871: 30.0.50; [FR] Add command and menu item to open user init file

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 09:08:24 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Options->Customize sounds like something new users would be able to
>> find.
>
> "Preferences" would be a silly name in Emacs, because every
> customization in Emacs is about "preferences".

Sure. I did not try to suggest this word. Just tried to explain how I
would search customization when exposed to an unknown GUI program.

I agreed with your suggestion that Options->Customize is the right sub-menu.

>> "Preferences" gear icon is something I have seen on toolbars.
>
> That's a separate issue and a separate request, though.

I meant that having something about customization is not uncommon on
toolbars in other apps and thus can be one of the places new users are
trying to reach.

>> And for init file, it is not a common concept.
>
> Exactly my point.  The easy-on-newbies interface for customization is
> not to present them with (a largely empty) init file, far from that.

Good point.
If init file does not exist yet, it can be created with top comment
explaining its purpose. Similar to initial *scratch* message.

>> Another idea could be adding a button that will open init file right
>> into customize interface (near "Apply").
>
> Why?

To make it easy to examine source code of the "saved" changes right
after using Customize buffer.

>> Side note: I now tried to look into Emacs "preferences" via menu and it
>> feels a bit awkward. Options->Customize Emacs-> has "Top-level
>> customization group" and "Browse customization groups" do not sound very
>> different and I would never guess (even knowing Emacs) that "browse"
>> implies short overview of all options.
>
> Did you read the help-echo strings they display?

Not helpful:
1. "Top-level customization group" has help-echo "The master group
   called 'Emacs'" - it does not clarify anything for me.
2. "Browse customization groups" has help-echo "Browse all customization
   groups" - what new information does it provide?

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>