Subject: bug#64871: 30.0.50; [FR] Add command and menu item to open user init file

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 08:32:27 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Before concluding that this suggestion will cause trouble to the
> over-crowded menu bar, we should talk about where this new items might
> be placed.  If we place it in an existing sub-menu, then the problems
> it will cause might not be that grave.  For example, how about the
> Options->Customize Emacs sub-menu?

My instincts from other GUI apps tell me that common places where
customization staff is located is Options->Preferences,
Edit->Preferences, or Tools->Preferences.

Options->Customize sounds like something new users would be able to
find.

>> The Emacs manual holds a description of the location of user
>> initialization files.
>
> In a 55-line subsection, plus another 54-line section in the
> Appendices that describes the Windows-specific quirks!

I myself had difficulties finding what is "~" on Windows.

> To be fair, the tool bar still has some free space on it.  But I
> actually wonder about something else: what other applications have a
> tool-bar button to access the init file, or even just the
> customization menu?

"Preferences" gear icon is something I have seen on toolbars.
And for init file, it is not a common concept.

Another idea could be adding a button that will open init file right
into customize interface (near "Apply").

Side note: I now tried to look into Emacs "preferences" via menu and it
feels a bit awkward. Options->Customize Emacs-> has "Top-level
customization group" and "Browse customization groups" do not sound very
different and I would never guess (even knowing Emacs) that "browse"
implies short overview of all options.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>