Subject: Re: bug#64871: 30.0.50; [FR] Add command and menu item to open user init file

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 13:44:39 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Before concluding that this suggestion will cause trouble to the
> over-crowded menu bar, we should talk about where this new items might
> be placed.  If we place it in an existing sub-menu, then the problems
> it will cause might not be that grave.  For example, how about the
> Options->Customize Emacs sub-menu?

I don't think that the people who need help finding their initialization
files are likely to look there.

Maybe the tutorial could mention the locations where Emacs searches for
initialization files, or we could put a link to the init files on the
splash screen.

> To be fair, the tool bar still has some free space on it.

Not on my phone, where the default tool-bar is about four items away
from wrapping.  We certainly can't afford to waste that space on these
items.

> But I actually wonder about something else: what other applications
> have a tool-bar button to access the init file, or even just the
> customization menu?

Other applications don't treat their tool bars as disposal areas for
anything they want to make prominent :-)

On a slightly unrelated note, I think Emacs would be well served by an
interactive tutorial, like the proverbial Clippy from MS Office.  It
could be opened from a link on the splash screen.