Subject: bug#64868: 29.1; C-x O binding suggestion for (other-window -1)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 14:15:06 +0300

> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 06:46:30 GMT
> From:  Van Ly via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> When there are three or more windows in a frame C-x o runs the command
> other-window.  Wanting to goto the previous window the keybinding for
> that is not obvious.  C-x p is a keymap prefix for project related work.

What's wrong with "C-- C-x o" (or "C-u - C-x o" if you are on a
text-mode terminal)?

> May I suggest to make possible the binding C-x O for (other-window -1)
> as follows

We don't have too many free key sequences, so "wasting" one on
something that can be easily achieved via an existing binding is not a
good idea, IMO.

Of course, you can always make this binding in your own configuration.
What I wrote above is about the default bindings -- I see no
justification to change that.