Subject: bug#64866: 30.0.50; Emacsclient block for 2 seconds when error is raised from command

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 05:30:11 +0300

> From: Yikai Zhao <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 10:10:08 +0800
> 
> 
> After updating to recent master version of emacs, emacsclient would
> block for an extra 2 seconds when some error is raised from command.

That's deliberate: we want to allow the user to see the error message.
It is not a bug.

> Why it affects me:
> 
> I bind some keyboard shortcut globally to a script to move either from
> emacs window or i3wm window. It does something like this:
> 
>    emacsclient -e '(windmove-right)' || i3-msg focus right
> 
> It rely on the behavior that, if I'm currently in the rightmost emacs
> buffer, '(windmove-right)' would return an error and fallback to use
> i3-msg to move to another frame. With this bug I mentioned, it would
> introduce 2-second delay on this action.

I don't think your quite special use case is a reason good enough to
prevent users from seeing error messages.  An error message that
cannot be read is useless.

Sorry.