Subject: Re: bug#64866: 30.0.50; Emacsclient block for 2 seconds when error is raised from command

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 22:34:11 -0700

On 7/26/2023 9:48 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 12:48:38 -0700
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
>>
>> On 7/26/2023 11:48 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> Why did you think it should?  According to its documentation it only
>>> affects minibuffer-message.  The 2-sec delay in the above case is done
>>> by an explicit call to sit-for with a hard-coded argument of 2 sec.
>>> See server-return-error.
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer to this code. Looking at it, it doesn't seem easy
>> to avoid this delay without causing the problems that you've mentioned.
> 
> Yes, see bug#63629 for the problems that code attempts to solve.

Thanks. I'll take a look at that in more detail in the next week or so, 
since at this point I'm just curious as to whether there's a way to get 
the best of both worlds. (At minimum, maybe I can add a regression test.)