Subject: 29.1; Key input M-w gets mapped to H-M-w and similar mappings

From: Martin Stein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 12:16:19 +0200

After switching from emacs-28 to emacs-29 (compiled, installed and
started new emacs without any further changes, restarts or other changes
to the system) and starting the new emacs-29 build I directly observerd that
pressing "M-w" yielded a "H-M-w" (which is bound to any function). This
applies to all other input with modifier Meta I tried via
describe-key-briefly.

Output of my xmodmap -pm is
shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock      
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x69)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x6c)
mod2        Super_L (0x42),  Super_L (0xce)
mod3
mod4        Meta_L (0x85),  Meta_R (0x86)
mod5        Mode_switch (0x87)

There is no Hyper key defined in my local Xmodmap (no keycode). After adding a
keycode for Hyper_L (bound to some unused key, as my keyboard has no
Hyper keys) and adding it to mod3, I got the expected behaviour in
emacs, i.e. "M-w" remained "M-w" with the usual binding to
kill-ring-save. So I have a work-around.

Out of curiousity I also removed Alt_L and Alt_R bindings for mod1 in
Xmodmap but left the keycode definitions for those two kesy. I got a
similarly wrong behaviour. For example "A-y" got translated to "A-s-y".

Setup as generated by emacs (generated by report-emacs-bug):
 
In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34,
 cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-07-24 built on computer
Repository revision: 31cef9a4eac01fff5ff4fcb89d7e2b7815e93bad
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12003000
System Description: openSUSE Leap 15.4
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/myname/local --with-sound=no
 --with-gnutls=yes CC=/home/myname/gcc-13/bin/gcc-13
 CXX=/home/myname/gcc-13/bin/c++-13'
Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LIBSELINUX MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB
Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
Major mode: Magit Log
Minor modes in effect:
  save-place-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
  helm-autoresize-mode: t
  helm--remap-mouse-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/myname/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230723.1411/transient hides /home/myname/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/transient
/home/myname/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-lint hides /home/myname/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-lint
/home/myname/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-jump hides /home/myname/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-jump
/home/myname/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-ensure hides /home/myname/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-ensure
/home/myname/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package hides /home/myname/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package
/home/myname/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-diminish hides /home/myname/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-diminish
/home/myname/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-delight hides /home/myname/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-delight
/home/myname/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-core hides /home/myname/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-core
/home/myname/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-bind-key hides /home/myname/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-bind-key
/home/myname/.emacs.d/elpa/bind-key-20230203.2004/bind-key hides /home/myname/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/bind-key

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug
debug backtrace find-func helm-info helm-swoop advice disp-table
display-fill-column-indicator magit-extras winner mule-util
tramp-archive tramp-gvfs tramp-cache time-stamp zeroconf dbus xml
face-remap dired-aux re-builder f90 cus-edit pp icons wid-edit saveplace
whitespace delsel cus-load binky-mode helm-projectile projectile project
lisp-mnt grep compile ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs thingatpt
helm-mode helm-misc helm-ls-git helm-files image-dired image-dired-tags
image-dired-external image-dired-util xdg image-mode exif tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat
parse-time iso8601 helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate
helm-grep helm-regexp helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm
helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu helm-core async-bytecomp helm-source
helm-multi-match helm-lib async vc-git vc vc-dispatcher magit-submodule
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode
diff diff-mode git-commit rx log-edit message sendmail yank-media puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log
magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete comint
ansi-osc ring server ansi-color magit-mode transient cl-extra edmacro
kmacro help-mode magit-git magit-base magit-section format-spec
cursor-sensor crm dash compat compat-29 use-package use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf pcase info package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 481092 34130)
 (symbols 48 30541 1)
 (strings 32 154040 6695)
 (string-bytes 1 4419887)
 (vectors 16 62453)
 (vector-slots 8 787391 64568)
 (floats 8 161 462)
 (intervals 56 5623 1500)
 (buffers 976 30))