Subject: Re: bug#64847: Emacs 29 RC1 takes around 25ms longer to start without config and about 25ms with config

From: Yanchi Tóth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 15:23:37 +0200

Hi :)

Here's the configuration data for 28.2. I believe it says it was built with
--with-native-compilation, but not AOT. Is that where you expect the time
difference to come from?

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2022-09-13 built on AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19045.3208)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
 --without-compress-install CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  ivy-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  straight-use-package-mode: t
  straight-package-neutering-mode: t
  straight-symlink-emulation-mode: t
  straight-live-modifications-mode: t
  global-subword-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/yanchith/.emacs.d/straight/build/transient/transient hides
c:/Users/yanchith/emacs-28.2/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map
time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils counsel xdg xref dired dired-loaddefs compile
text-property-search comint ansi-color swiper thingatpt vc-mtn vc-hg
vc-git diff-mode vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc
vc-dispatcher project pcase abu-theme wgsl-mode-autoloads
glsl-mode-autoloads csharp-mode-autoloads typescript-mode-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads counsel-autoloads swiper-autoloads ivy ring
ivy-faces ivy-overlay colir color ivy-autoloads magit-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads git-commit-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
transient-autoloads compat-autoloads expand-region-autoloads
multiple-cursors-autoloads finder-inf move-text-autoloads whitespace
f-autoloads dash-autoloads s-autoloads use-package use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
use-package-core use-package-autoloads bind-key-autoloads
straight-autoloads straight cap-words superword subword autorevert
filenotify easy-mmode edmacro kmacro delsel comp comp-cstr warnings
subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra help-mode seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv elec-pair hl-line so-long cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 163843 10834)
 (symbols 48 14325 0)
 (strings 32 43134 3211)
 (string-bytes 1 1653802)
 (vectors 16 26190)
 (vector-slots 8 480548 10492)
 (floats 8 124 354)
 (intervals 56 242 0)
 (buffers 992 10))

On Tue, Jul 25, 2023 at 2:49 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > From: Yanchi Tóth <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:06:53 +0200
> >
> > Emacs 29 RC1 takes around 25ms longer to start without config and about
> 25ms with config. These
> > timings are the best of 5 runs of emacs-init-time on 29 RC1 and 28.2.
>
> Was your Emacs 28 also built with --with-native-compilation=aot?  Was
> it built with native-compilation enabled at all?  (You show the
> configuration data from the v29.1 build, but not from the 28.2 build,
> so I couldn't deduce the answers to those questions myself.)
>
> In any case, 25 msec is a very small difference.
>
> Thanks.
>