Subject: Re: bug#64834: 28.2; Auctex fails to load properly

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 20:44:40 +0200

Roger Lipsett <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Roger,

> I did copy the elpa subdirectory originally. I just nuked it and
> reinstalled auctex from the package list screen, and received many
> messages of the form
>
>
> Compiling file /Users/rlipsett/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-13.2.1/auctex.el at Mon
> Jul 24 13:15:36 2023
> Entering directory ‘/Users/rlipsett/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-13.2.1/’
>
> Compiling file /Users/rlipsett/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-13.2.1/bib-cite.el at
> Mon Jul 24 13:15:36 2023
> bib-cite.el:590:1: Error: Lisp nesting exceeds ‘max-lisp-eval-depth’
>
> Compiling file /Users/rlipsett/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-13.2.1/context-en.el at
> Mon Jul 24 13:15:36 2023
> context-en.el:33:1: Error: Lisp nesting exceeds ‘max-lisp-eval-depth’

Really strange.  What's the value of max-lisp-eval-depth in your emacs?
Here it is 1600 which is the standard value.  AFAICS, it doesn't have
different values on different OSes.

At least there seems to be some systematics here: context-en.el:33 is a
(require 'context) [which in turn requires tex] and bib-cite:590 is
(require 'tex).  But I don't see how that can lead to exceeding
max-lisp-eval-depth...

> M-x list-load-path-shadows says "No Emacs Lisp load-path shadowings
> were found".

Good.  (Or rather bad; I've hoped for some easy solvable cause.)

> I am quite sure, as I suspect you are, that this is a migration
> problem.  I'm happy to start over, but I thought I had already done
> that. My Emacs 28.2 is installed via HomeBrew. What would you suggest
> I try if I want to wipe all traces from my system and restart it?

I don't have any knowledge about HomeBrew but I guess you've installed
emacs anew on the new machine rather than copying over the installation
from the old one, right?

What about evaluating (require 'ansi-color) as suggested in my previous
mail?  Does that also lead to an error?  Also with emacs -Q?

And does the auctex load error happen with all tex files (i.e., even
with an empty tex file in a fresh directory)?

Does something change when you start emacs -Q and then do M-x
package-initialize RET before opening some TeX file?

Bye,
Tassilo