Subject: bug#64830: 30.0.50 C++ treesitter mode no coloration

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 02:19:28 +0000

Hello, Yuan.

On Sat, Aug 24, 2024 at 13:43:25 -0700, Yuan Fu wrote:

> > On Aug 24, 2024, at 12:38 PM, Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 24, 2024 at 11:35:36 -0700, Yuan Fu wrote:
> >>> On Aug 19, 2024, at 8:46 PM, Yuan Fu <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >>>> On Aug 16, 2024, at 11:27 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >>>>> Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2024 18:06:31 +0000
> >>>>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> >>>>> From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>

> >>>>>> Maybe your Emacs 30 build is old?

> >>>>> No.  I updated it on Wednesday, the most recent commit I have being:

> >>>>> commit 9bedb957bebdca99b1bb96f58ea790e20ed48dee (HEAD -> emacs-30,
> >>>>> origin/emacs-30)
> >>>>> Author: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> >>>>> Date:   Wed Aug 14 11:35:48 2024 +0300

> >>>>>  Improve documentation of time-parsing functions

> >>>>> ..  I will update it right now and retry ....

> >>>>> ..... DONE.  It makes no difference.  I don't understand either
> >>>>> why I see this bug and you don't.

> >>>> Maybe try updating the C++ grammar library?

> >>>> Yuan, any ideas?

> >>> Nothing obviously wrong from a glance. I’m very busy recently but
> >>> I’ll have some time this week to look into this. Sorry for the
> >>> delay :-)

> >>> Yuan

> >> Upon closer inspection, I think this is caused by a recent change in
> >> c-ts-mode font-lock rules, in
> >> 014aab9847a0d3d898cb8cbc7224143f2d741abb.

> >> Alan, could you do this: don’t upgrade your c++ grammar and try this
> >> patch, if I was right it should fix your problem. Thanks!

> > I updated my emacs-30 branch, checked that that commit was included,
> > and rebuilt it.  The problem still exists on my copy of Emacs 30.
> > :-(

> No no I mean apply the attached patch and see if it fixes the problem.
> The commit hash I mentioned is the source of the bug, not the fix ;-)

Sorry about the misunderstanding.

I've now applied your patch, the one whose first hunk's header is:

@@ -537,6 +537,16 @@ c-ts-mode--top-level-label-matcher

, but it unfortunately doesn't solve the bug.  On templates-21.cc, one of
the test files from CC Mode, on doing M-x c++-ts-mode, there is no
fontification at all.  In *Messages* we have

Error during redisplay: (jit-lock-function 1) signaled
(treesit-query-error "Node type error at" 677 "[\"_Atomic\" \"break\"
\"case\" \"const\" \"continue\" \"default\" \"do\" \"else\" \"enum\"
\"extern\" \"for\" \"goto\" \"if\" \"inline\" \"register\" \"restrict\"
\"return\" \"sizeof\" \"static\" \"struct\" \"switch\" \"typedef\"
\"union\" \"volatile\" \"while\" \"and\" \"and_eq\" \"bitand\" \"bitor\"
\"catch\" \"class\" \"co_await\" \"co_return\" \"co_yield\" \"compl\"
\"concept\" \"consteval\" \"constexpr\" \"constinit\" \"decltype\"
\"delete\" \"explicit\" \"final\" \"friend\" \"mutable\" \"namespace\"
\"new\" \"noexcept\" \"not\" \"not_eq\" \"operator\" \"or\" \"or_eq\"
\"override\" \"private\" \"protected\" \"public\" \"requires\"
\"template\" \"throw\" \"try\" \"typename\" \"using\" \"xor\" \"xor_eq\"]
@font-lock-keyword-face (auto) @font-lock-keyword-face (this)
@font-lock-keyword-face (virtual) @font-lock-keyword-face" "Debug the
query with `treesit-query-validate'")

That "Node type error at" 677 isn't a buffer position - the buffer is
only 325 characters long.

Is there anything else I could do to help, here?

> Yuan

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).