Subject: bug#6482: 6482

From: Geoff Gole <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:24:16 +0800

This has nothing to do with either line length or emacs. The html in
question contains a ^M near the end of that line, and it causes the
shell to behave a little strangely.

To illustrate, try the following in an xterm or something. Use C-v RET
to insert the ^M.

  $ grep abc <<EOF
  > abc^Mdef
  > EOF
  def

Now a longer line with a ^M towards the end:

  $ grep abc <<EOF
  > asdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfsadfasdfsadfsadfsadfsadfasdfsadfsadfasdfasdfasdfsadfabc^Mdef
  > EOF
  deffasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfsadfasdfsadfsadfsadfsadfasdfsadfsadfasdfasdfasdfsadfabc

Pretty strange, but nothing to do with emacs. An additional wrinkle is
that in M-x shell C-q C-m won't produce the same behaviour, the shell
seems to see it as a newline. Use a file containing a ^M if you test
this in M-x shell.