Subject: bug#64818: 30.0.50; c++-ts-mode highlight does not work

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 23:33:16 +0300

On 24/07/2023 19:56, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> More generally, I'm a bit worried by such incompatible changes in the
>>> grammar libraries.  The developers must understand that they break
>>> users of tree-sitter, right?  So why are they making such incompatible
>>> changes?  And how do other editors cope with such changes, for example
>>> this one?
>> An example from nvim-treesitter:https://github.com/nvim-treesitter/nvim-treesitter/commit/823e67a1c9452075ec7f01e7aa05ac6e7b41fb1e
>>
>> It seems most, if not all implementations use some sort of lockfile, where commits are frozen according to the current support. The consensus seems to be to do what I proposed some mails ago: show the last known commit the current file supports, and enable that one to be installed automatically.
> I'm not sure how we would maintain this data.  Emacs is a large
> project, and people come and go at will and without further notice.
> We don't have people who will reliably track the development of the
> grammar libraries and record the commits somewhere.  We'd basically
> need this when a release is being tarred, and for that it should be
> recorded somewhere in advance.
> 

I'm guessing this info will have be tracked by the maintainers of the 
respective ts major modes.

The same people who have to be aware of what grammar nodes are available 
anyway, know about the changes in the grammar, and etc.