Subject: Re: bug#64809: 29.1; Initial frame is wrong size when dimensions specified in init file

From: David Fiander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:27:52 -0500

I normally run emacs as a daemon, and this problem appears for the first 
frame that I create with the daemon, but all subsequent frames are fine. 
Adding a (reconsider-frame-fonts) to my complicated "pick the right face 
& size" function in my init file pretty much eliminates the problem for 
me, even on the initial frame.

- David

On 7/25/23 10:42, Jim Porter wrote:
> On 7/25/2023 4:56 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Don't worry, the fix for this will not go into Emacs 29.1, unless you
>> _really_ surprise me by its simplicity and safety.  After all, this
>> issue is merely a minor annoyance, not a big problem, especially if
>> one uses Emacs As God Intended and starts it only once in a blue moon.
>> Jim actually said he usually doesn't use GUI Emacs...
>
> Well, not on the development builds. (I usually run a minimal 
> configuration in the terminal when testing things.) I do use GUI Emacs 
> a fair amount otherwise though. However, I agree that this is a minor 
> annoyance, and should be easy enough to work around for the time being 
> with a couple of well-placed advices anyway.
>
> Still, in the future I'll make sure to find time to test under a wider 
> variety of configurations earlier in the development process to catch 
> issues like this before an RC. I'm surprised no one noticed this issue 
> until now either, but I guess most users don't use the development 
> builds heavily.