Subject: Re: bug#64809: 29.1; Initial frame is wrong size when dimensions specified in init file

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 07:50:55 +0800

David Fiander <[email-masked]> writes:

> The same "small window" behaviour.

Are you sure that the font size of the default face is being set before
the default frame is created?

>>> I'm using gtk+, but not pgtk. The window manager is XFCE.
>> Thanks.  Does the problem still occur with a no-toolkit build (one
>> with
>> --with-x-toolkit=no?)
>
> both with and with frame-resize-pixelwise, the window appears "full
> size", blinks to the small size, and the resizes correctly for the
> given font.

Because given this, I believe Emacs is attempting to constrain the pixel
size of the frame to its character width and height, as it does upon
each change to the default font.

This is intentional behavior that didn't always work correctly in Emacs
28.