Subject: Re: bug#64809: 29.1; Initial frame is wrong size when dimensions specified in init file

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 09:33:00 -0700

I see this issue too. I'm running GNU/Linux with the Cinnamon desktop 
environment (which is derived from GNOME 3).

> What happens if you set:
> 
>    (setq frame-resize-pixelwise t)
> 
> in your early-init.el?

This seems to help with the reduced test case, but not my full config 
(I'm not sure why yet).

> Thanks.  Does the problem still occur with a no-toolkit build (one with
> --with-x-toolkit=no?)

This seems to work, though the frame flashes back and forth between 
sizes a couple times before settling on the right size.

I found a related issue that might make this easier to diagnose: when I 
run the following in Emacs 28.2, it correctly sets the default face 
height for the current frame. With Emacs 29.1, it flashes for a second 
at the correct size, then reverts to the default:

emacs -Q --eval "(set-face-attribute 'default (selected-frame) :height 70)"