Subject: bug#64809: 29.1; Initial frame is wrong size when dimensions specified in init file

From: David Fiander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 15:02:45 -0500

Using the below init file, and running emacs from the command line, the
initial frame seems to appear with the correct size but then shrinks
down. The frame created by pressing C-x 5 2 is the correct size.

;;; -*- lexical-binding: t; coding: utf-8; -*-

(set-face-attribute 'default nil :family "Noto Sans Mono" :weight 
'regular :height 160)

;; (set-frame-height nil 26)
;; (set-frame-width nil 90)
;; (push '(height . 26) default-frame-alist)
;; (push '(width . 90) default-frame-alist)

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-freebsd13.2, GTK+ Version
  3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.4) of 2023-07-23 built on
  shawinigan.l.fiander.info
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: 13.2-RELEASE-p1

Configured using:
  'configure --with-xwidgets'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM XWIDGETS
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/david/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-20230602.2121/transient hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tex-site pcase
slime-autoloads info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 69368 9195)
  (symbols 48 8126 0)
  (strings 32 24572 1933)
  (string-bytes 1 797086)
  (vectors 16 16446)
  (vector-slots 8 246591 10008)
  (floats 8 44 15)
  (intervals 56 227 0)
  (buffers 976 10))