Subject: bug#64807: 30.0.50; Editing files using sudo with fprintd hangs

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 19:21:50 +0200

Theodor Thornhill <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Emacs (and Michael, forgive me if this isn't relevant for you)

Hi Theodor,

> I'm using Ubuntu on a thinkpad with fingerprint scanner, and have
> enabled it to be used when sudo is invoked, setting it in pam.d. Fprintd
> is the program (I believe) that checks the fingerprint.
>
> Is there some way for Emacs to prompt for the fingerprint to be scanned,
> and not to freeze up?

Tramp has support for 2FA security. Please add the fingerprint prompt to
the user option tramp-security-key-confirm-regexp. If there is a second
message, telling you that the security key (your finger :-) has been
confirmed, add this message to the user option
tramp-security-key-confirmed-regexp.

> Let me know if I need to provide more information :)

If it doesn't work, send me Tramp traces (tramp-verbose 6 shall be sufficient).

> Thanks,
> Theo

Best regards, Michael.