Subject: Re: bug#64799: [PATCH] Add 'project-prompt-key' face

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 21:05:51 +0530

[புதன் ஆகஸ்ட் 23, 2023] Dmitry Gutov wrote:

> On 23/08/2023 17:13, Visuwesh wrote:
>> [புதன் ஆகஸ்ட் 23, 2023] Dmitry Gutov wrote:
>> 
>>> On 23/08/2023 15:18, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>>>> Would remapping help-key-binding to bold be a possible solution?
>> I hope not globally.
>> 
>>> In one specific buffer? Through a hook or something?
>> I was first thinking of writing an advice project--keymap-prompt to
>> temporarily advice facep to return nil always in my init.el...
>
> We can add an option, no problem.

Thanks!

>>> It seems to me Visuwesh wants the brackets back as well. As user
>>> option could do that.
>> I would like to have it, yes.  I am so bad at picking up different
>> typefaces _and_ colours that if I don't have extra characters around, I
>> fail to recognise the emphasis.  It is embarrassing, really.
>
> Could you explain, then, why you customized help-key-binding to look
> like default?

I simply think it makes the text look too busy.  I find it unnecessary
to distinguish keys in *Help* buffers (and most other places), for
example.

> For example, the below customization would make it relatively close to
> how brackets look (but of course not exactly the same):
>
> (set-face-attribute 'help-key-binding nil
>                     :box '(:color "blue" :style released-button
>                     :line-width (6 . 0)))
>
> And the two places where this face is most prominently used (the one
> under discussion, and 'M-x describe-bindings' output) seem to use the
> face fairly similarly, so it seems to make sense, no?

See above.  C-h b IMHO is too ugly with such a setting.

> Anyway, if you want the option, can you suggest how it will be called?
> Will it be just boolean?

A boolean option will be fine.  The facep condition can then be changed
to (and NEW-OPTION (facep 'help-key-binding)).