Subject: bug#64799: [PATCH] Add 'project-prompt-key' face

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 03:56:56 +0300

On 27/07/2023 08:28, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 04:01:17 +0300
>> Cc:[email-masked],[email-masked]
>> From: Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>
>>
>> On 26/07/2023 14:10, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> Beware: the 'bold' face changes the metrics of the font glyphs (wrt
>>> the 'medium' variant), and at least with some fonts could cause a
>>> small 1- or 2-pixel vertical resize of the mini-window, which is
>>> generally distracting and even annoying.
>> Only non-monospaced font, though, right? Or ones without a 'bold' variant.
> No, not only those.  I'm talking about the_vertical_  metrics, so
> whether the font is monospaced is not relevant.  Try marking files for
> deletion in Dired, and you will see that, at least with some fonts and
> some sizes.  Here on MS-Windows the default face's font (Courier New)
> does that, for some sizes of the font.  I have customized
> eldoc-highlight-function-argument to use 'underline' instead of 'bold'
> for that very reason.

Good to know. That does sound problematic (e.g. when used with Eldoc, 
contributing to extra jumpiness).

FWIW, I haven't been able to reproduce this here on GNU/Linux with 
several sizes of Courier New that I tried.