Subject: 30.0.50; manual-entry [(1) fails

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 02:58:59 +0200

Hello,

In Gnu/Linux there is a binary named "[" in /usr/bin/, and it has a man
page I can read in a terminal using "man '[(1)'".

Requesting the man page in Emacs using `man' is broken, however:

  M-x manual-entry RET [ TAB

echoes "[No match]" - this is the first problem (the failing
completion).

C-g, let's try differently:

  M-x manual-entry RET TAB [ TAB

(that's the same as before but additionally requesting all candidates
before writing in the minibuffer) suddenly completes to "[(1)" as
expected.  But when confirming with RET the man buffer only has these
contents:

| /bin/sh: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
|
| process exited abnormally with code 2

That's the second problem.

Oh, and M-x woman [ RET works as expected.

TIA,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 33, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version
 1.16.0) of 2023-07-22 built on drachen
Repository revision: 4b3ab8fae12dcb403e653edeafa1d4ce1dab0187
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)