Subject: bug#64793: closed (Re: bug#64793: 28.2; python-mode: two single quotes makes emacs stop echoing and seem to hang)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 05:21:02 +0000

Your bug report

#64793: 28.2; python-mode: two single quotes makes emacs stop echoing and seem to hang

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64793: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64793
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#64793: 28.2; python-mode: two single quotes makes emacs stop echoing and seem to hang
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Akkana Peck <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 08:21:02 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 15:25:45 -0600
> From: Akkana Peck <[email-masked]>
> 
> 1. Save the following file (minimal test example) as bug.py:
> 
> ---- begin file -----
> #!/usr/bin/env python3
> 
> def one_function():
>     print()
> 
>     return 42
> 
> 
> def another_function(filename):
>     """
>     With a docstring here, if you place the cursor between the two
>     lines of one_function, hit tab to indent 4 spaces, then type
>     two single quotes, '', emacs seems to lock up: the quotes aren't
>     echoed and neither is anything else you type after that.
>     But a Ctrl-G will wake emacs up and make the quotes and anything
>     else you typed appear. Depending on your emacs config, you might
>     need a double Ctrl-G.
>     """
>     pass
> ---- end file -----
> 
> 2. Run emacs -Q bug.py
> 
> 3. Go to line 5, the blank line between the print() and the return.
> 
> 4. Hit TAB, which should automatically indent 4 spaces to match the two
> existing lines.
> 
> 5. Type two single quotes '' -- note that the quotes do not echo.
> Try typing more characters, or moving up or down ... nothing works.
> In fact, try hiding then re-showing the window, or going to another
> virtual desktop then back to where the emacs window is: it doesn't even
> redraw, seems to be locked up hard.
> 
> But it isn't really, because ^G^G will wake emacs up (sometimes a single
> ^G works, sometimes I need two, depending on what other packages are loaded).

Thanks, this is already fixed in what will shortly become Emacs 29.1.

So I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 28.2; python-mode: two single quotes makes emacs stop echoing and seem to hang
From: Akkana Peck <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 15:25:45 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. Save the following file (minimal test example) as bug.py:

---- begin file -----
#!/usr/bin/env python3

def one_function():
    print()

    return 42

def another_function(filename):
    """
    With a docstring here, if you place the cursor between the two
    lines of one_function, hit tab to indent 4 spaces, then type
    two single quotes, '', emacs seems to lock up: the quotes aren't
    echoed and neither is anything else you type after that.
    But a Ctrl-G will wake emacs up and make the quotes and anything
    else you typed appear. Depending on your emacs config, you might
    need a double Ctrl-G.
    """
    pass
---- end file -----

2. Run emacs -Q bug.py

3. Go to line 5, the blank line between the print() and the return.

4. Hit TAB, which should automatically indent 4 spaces to match the two
existing lines.

5. Type two single quotes '' -- note that the quotes do not echo.
Try typing more characters, or moving up or down ... nothing works.
In fact, try hiding then re-showing the window, or going to another
virtual desktop then back to where the emacs window is: it doesn't even
redraw, seems to be locked up hard.

But it isn't really, because ^G^G will wake emacs up (sometimes a single
^G works, sometimes I need two, depending on what other packages are loaded).

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.37, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2023-05-13, modified by Debian built on x86-ubc-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --with-cairo --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-mPr7Vr/emacs-28.2+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Python

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils python tramp-sh comp
comp-cstr warnings rx cl-extra help-mode tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time
iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv comint ring cl-loaddefs cl-lib
ansi-color iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 119398 9279)
 (symbols 48 9843 1)
 (strings 32 31623 2880)
 (string-bytes 1 1115369)
 (vectors 16 20828)
 (vector-slots 8 389974 19791)
 (floats 8 38 36)
 (intervals 56 476 0)
 (buffers 992 13))