Subject: Re: bug#64791: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Fix dired mismatch on some filenames

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2023 08:20:29 +0800

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> I doubt anyone would make install GNU coreutils on top of a BSD
> userland, because there would be no end to the breakage that would
> create.  That's the exact reason why the 'popular name' on BSD is
> "gls".

???

GNU ls is a compatible replacement for Unix ls, the installation of
which shouldn't produce problems on Unix systems.  I've been installing
it from the coreutils tarball since it was still named fileutils,
without any ill effect.

>> Favoring `gls' over `ls' will lead to Emacs overlooking a
>> potentially
>> newer Coreutils installation as long as one from the package manager
>> is already present.
>
> I don't think I understand what situation you have in mind here.

Where /usr/local/bin/gls is older than another installation of
coreutils.