Subject: bug#64791: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Fix dired mismatch on some filenames

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 10:36:39 +0200

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I don't know if this count as a test but it seems that both FreeBSD and
>> NetBSD also called it "gls" in their respective packages:
>>
>> https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/tree/sysutils/coreutils/pkg-plist
>> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/sysutils/coreutils/PLIST?rev=1.22&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
>>
>> But, I have to say that I still don't understand why you would not also
>> consider applying my patch.
>
> The popular name for GNU ls is actually `ls', given that you install
> Coreutils from the release tarball.  Favoring `gls' over `ls' will lead
> to Emacs overlooking a potentially newer Coreutils installation as long
> as one from the package manager is already present.

Yes there is this consideration too.  Maybe we should have something
more elaborate then.  AFAIR, there is some test afterward to see if the
found "ls" support "--dired" so maybe if the found "ls" does not support
"--dired" and we are on a BSD then we should look for "gls".

> Have the BSDs abjured the nasty habit of placing site software in a
> single /usr/local directory?

I don't know what you are calling "site software" but yes (OpenBSD at
least) is using /usr/local for its package software.

> If so, we could perhaps search in the directory where they install GNU
> software, i.e. /usr/sfw (?)

There is no such directory by default on OpenBSD.
-- 
Manuel Giraud