Subject: bug#64789: closed (Re: bug#64789: 30.0.50; EPA fails to encrypt files; decryption and manual encryption works)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 14:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#64789: 30.0.50; EPA fails to encrypt files; decryption and manual encryption works

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64789: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64789
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#64789: 30.0.50; EPA fails to encrypt files; decryption and manual encryption works
From: Daniel Semyonov <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 17:15:20 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>>>>> Eli Zaretskii writes:

    >> From: Daniel Semyonov <[email-masked]> Cc:
    >> [email-masked] Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 16:23:05 +0300
    >> 
    >> Should I close the report, or maybe it makes sense to keep it
    >> open until a fixed version of GnuPG is released?

    > I don't think it makes sense to keep this bug open, we already
    > have several others like it, and the PROBLEMS entry is our best
    > response for now.

Sorry, I did a very quick search before reporting but I see now that
you're right.

Subject: 30.0.50; EPA fails to encrypt files; decryption and manual encryption works
From: Daniel Semyonov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 12:41:54 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

For the past few days I've noticed I can no longer encrypt files with
EPA, both new files which I save with a '.gpg' extension and choose a
recipient, or existing files which are successfully decrypted but I can't
modify and save.
Specifically, when attempting to save, EPA just gets stuck indefinitely
with "Saving file <some file>.gpg..." in the echo area.

AFAIK my GPG config hasn't changed in months (and I fairly recently
encrypted a file with EPA), and I can manually invoke it to encrypt
files (through the terminal or dired for example).
I also got an error yesterday when trying to encrypt a file through
dired (by pressing '!' on the file and typing the command) which said
something about GPG not finding a valid TTY, but I don't remember what
it was and I can't reproduce it now.

To reproduce failure to save an existing file:
1. $ emacs -Q
2. C-x C-f <some file>.gpg
3. Toggle buffer modified by clicking the indicator on the mode line.
4. C-x C-s
5. Wait forever.

To reproduce failure to save a new file:
1. $ emacs -Q
2. C-x C-f <new file>.gpg
3. Toggle buffer modified by clicking the indicator on the mode line.
4. C-x C-s
5. Mark a recipient and press [OK].
6. Wait forever.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 11, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-07-22 built on coldharbour
Repository revision: b59c4d8ee60538345faa3afe51b6acf61f5a605a
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: Void Linux

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/opt/Emacs --with-x --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --without-gsettings --without-dbus --with-xinput2 --with-small-ja-dic
 --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2
MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_IL
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  server-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  global-jinx-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  wincom-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-cite mail-extr emacsbug gnus-topic nndraft nnmh
jka-compr mm-archive timezone url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth nnml
nnfolder utf-7 epa-file network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-cache nnyt nnatom mm-url init-gnus
easy-mmode comp comp-cstr cus-start checkdoc lisp-mnt flymake-proc
flymake project compile warnings thingatpt init-interfaces init-web
finder-inf init-volume init-sensors init-network init-emms init-battery
battery init-programs org-protocol gnus-async nntp gnus-sum shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail
yank-media puny dired-x dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win server init-shell init-pass auth-source-pass init-programming
elec-pair init-ui jinx compat delsel pixel-scroll cua-base repeat
cl-extra help-mode pcase time window-commander autorevert filenotify
minibuf-eldef init-personal gnus nnheader gnus-util text-property-search
mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr org-agenda org-element org-persist
xdg org-id avl-tree generator org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete
comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring org-list org-footnote org-faces
org-entities time-date noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-cycle org-table org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func ol rx org-fold
org-fold-core org-compat org-version org-macs format-spec holidays
holiday-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars ef-winter-theme
ef-tritanopia-dark-theme ef-trio-dark-theme ef-symbiosis-theme
ef-night-theme ef-elea-dark-theme ef-duo-dark-theme
ef-deuteranopia-dark-theme ef-dark-theme ef-cherie-theme ef-bio-theme
ef-autumn-theme ef-tritanopia-light-theme ef-trio-light-theme
ef-summer-theme ef-spring-theme ef-light-theme ef-kassio-theme
ef-frost-theme ef-elea-light-theme ef-duo-light-theme
ef-deuteranopia-light-theme ef-day-theme ef-cyprus-theme ef-themes info
debbugs-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads emms-autoloads jinx-autoloads
compat-autoloads nnyt-autoloads window-commander-autoloads cus-edit pp
cus-load icons wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 684943 348112) (symbols 48 27153 2)
 (strings 32 102498 6188) (string-bytes 1 3552205) (vectors 16 47423)
 (vector-slots 8 828112 298459) (floats 8 469 1036)
 (intervals 56 775 348) (buffers 984 22))