Subject: Re: bug#64789: 30.0.50; EPA fails to encrypt files; decryption and manual encryption works

From: Daniel Semyonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 16:23:05 +0300

>>>>> Eli Zaretskii writes:

    >> Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 12:41:54 +0300 From: Daniel Semyonov via
    >> "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors"
    >> <[email-masked]>
    >> 
    >> 
    >> For the past few days I've noticed I can no longer encrypt files
    >> with EPA, both new files which I save with a '.gpg' extension and
    >> choose a recipient, or existing files which are successfully
    >> decrypted but I can't modify and save.  Specifically, when
    >> attempting to save, EPA just gets stuck indefinitely with "Saving
    >> file <some file>.gpg..." in the echo area.
    >> 
    >> AFAIK my GPG config hasn't changed in months (and I fairly
    >> recently encrypted a file with EPA), and I can manually invoke it
    >> to encrypt files (through the terminal or dired for example).  I
    >> also got an error yesterday when trying to encrypt a file through
    >> dired (by pressing '!' on the file and typing the command) which
    >> said something about GPG not finding a valid TTY, but I don't
    >> remember what it was and I can't reproduce it now.
    >> 
    >> To reproduce failure to save an existing file: 1. $ emacs -Q
    >> 2. C-x C-f <some file>.gpg 3. Toggle buffer modified by clicking
    >> the indicator on the mode line.  4. C-x C-s 5. Wait forever.
    >> 
    >> To reproduce failure to save a new file: 1. $ emacs -Q 2. C-x C-f
    >> <new file>.gpg 3. Toggle buffer modified by clicking the
    >> indicator on the mode line.  4. C-x C-s 5. Mark a recipient and
    >> press [OK].  6. Wait forever.

    > This is due to a change in the latest version of GnuPG.  We have
    > this in etc/PROBLEMS:

    >   *** Saving, via EasyPG, a file encrypted with GnuPG hangs

    >   This is known to happen with GnuPG v2.4.1.  The only known
    > workaround is to downgrade to a version of GnuPG older than 2.4.1
    > (or, in the future, upgrade to a newer version which solves the
    > problem, when such a fixed version becomes available).

This is likely the issue, my distro seems to have upgraded from GnuPG
2.4.0 to 2.4.3 two weeks ago, I must have missed it when updating.

Should I close the report, or maybe it makes sense to keep it open until
a fixed version of GnuPG is released?

Thanks,
Daniel