Subject: Installing guile-imanifest in Profile Causes Problems with Guix

From: Christopher Rodriguez <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 22:59:28 -0400

Hello All,

I have recently tried to expand my use and knowledge of guile libraries,
and in doing so came across guile-imanifest, which is meant to be a
library to create guix manifests interactively. However, upon installing
it in my guix-home profile, I found that it propagates the guix package…
which then shadows ~/.config/guix/current/bin/guix and thus causes
problems for the end user going forward.

I've since removed it from my profile, but I wanted to report it as a
bug in case this was not expected behavior: I could conceive of a user,
excited to learn more about using guile and guix together, installing
the library and then thinking that their guix installation is broken
because nothing works after it.

If it isn't intended, I can submit a patch. If it is intended, perhaps a
note in the description might be warranted about this package causing
problems with guix if installed in a profile? Happy to submit a patch
there too.

What do You think?

-- 
Christopher Rodriguez
()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org   - against proprietary attachments