Subject: bug#64775: closed (Re: [bug#72920] [PATCH 0/3] Clean out /run upon boot)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 14:56:02 +0000

Your bug report

#64775: /run should be cleaned on boot

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64775: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64775
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#72920] [PATCH 0/3] Clean out /run upon boot
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 16:26:09 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On 2024-08-31, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Ludovic Courtès (3):
>>   services: cleanup: Run under C.UTF-8 locale.
>>   services: cleanup: Create directories with the right mode upfront.
>>   services: cleanup: Delete /run upon boot.
>
> As they say, Looks Good To Me. :)

Thanks, pushed as c250033aa69f35e64949a87fd8482b253dd416b4, except for
the first one because I remembered that C.UTF-8 is unavailable in
cross-compiled programs.

Ludo’.

Subject: /run should be cleaned on boot
From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 12:23:54 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

So, if there are files sitting around in /run, they do not get cleaned
up unless it is something guix is already aware of
(e.g. /run/setuid-programs).

I noticed this when experimenting with:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/61462
  Add support for file capabilities(7)

Even after a reboot, the leftovers from that experimental patchset were
still present in /run...

While I know that Guix does not really follow the FHS in most respects,
maybe the intention of /run defined there should still be respected?

  https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch03s15.html

  3.15. /run : Run-time variable data
  3.15.1. Purpose

  This directory contains system information data describing the system
  since it was booted. Files under this directory must be cleared
  (removed or truncated as appropriate) at the beginning of the boot
  process.
  ...

Many distros implement this by having /run on a tmpfs, but making sure
to clean up /run at boot seems like a reasonable thing to do at the very
least.

I am not sure if it makes sense to do housecleaning of /run from guix
system reconfigure ... as there may be legitimate uses for other
processes to write there.

live well,
  vagrant