Subject: Re: bug#64739: (forward-thing 'number) doesn't work with decimal numbers

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 17:29:38 +0300

> From: Roland Winkler <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 09:14:48 -0500
> 
> On Fri, Jul 21 2023, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> It should use its own function, if you ask me.  forward-word is a
> >> kludge.
> >
> > To clarify: I meant that using forward-word in this case is a kludge.
> 
> I am not familiar with how forward-thing is implemented.  A dedicated
> function has been my personal solution for this problem that has been
> serving me well for many years.  So one can rephrase: How common a
> problem is this that it may (not?) justify a solution in the standard
> emacs code?

By "its own function" I meant that we implement it in Emacs, not that
you implement it in your personal customizations.