Subject: [bug#64738] bug#64369: Request for merging "mesa-updates" branch

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:03:28 +0100

John Kehayias <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 06:58 PM, 宋文武 wrote:
>
>>>
>>>     gnu: mesa: Enable zstd compression for shader cache.
>>>
>>>     * gnu/packages/gl.scm (mesa)[inputs]: Add zstd:lib.
>>>     [arguments]: Add '-Dzstd=enabled' to configure-flags.
>>
>> Pushed to the mesa-updates branch, merging progress tracked in
>> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64369.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> I just saw this as the message only went to the bug number. I would not
> have merged this yet without checking about build status after the big
> texlive updates. I was hoping to avoid a full rebuild so we could merge
> to master with substitutes already, after checking post-texlive and the
> graft of mesa on master.
>
> However, doesn't seem like Cuirass has picked up this change and hasn't
> built yet. Any idea why?

Cuirass at ci.guix.gnu.org seems to be having problems noticing new
revisions. At least it's about a day behind for master branch revisions.

> My plan right now was going to be to merge master into mesa-updates, see
> what the build status looks like, and then decide from there. If there
> were not too many rebuilds (say less than 1000) from the updates on
> master, we should be able to go ahead soon. And then start on the next
> round of patches/updates for mesa-updates.
>
> On the other hand, if there were lots of rebuilds there are other
> patches waiting that should be used also (libdrm, libva if I remember)
> as well as ungrafting the change on master. So, preventing waiting and
> doing another big rebuild with the changes that have been waiting since
> the first build of this branch.
>
> What do people think? My thought right now was to revert this change
> (since it rebuilds all of mesa dependents), merge master in, and check
> the status. But I'm confused why Cuirass wasn't building.

The mesa package wasn't affected by tex-team-next, so unless there are
other inputs to most/all off the packages to which mesa is an input,
there shouldn't be many rebuilds. I'd still rebase or merge master in to
the branch and see what QA says though.

Whether you want to revert this latest commit and try and merge sooner,
or wait for things to be built and merge later is up to you though.