Subject: bug#64735: 29.0.92; find invocations are ~15x slower because of ignores

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 11:51:27 +0000

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> And this is just the case to handle it in Lisp code, with
> without-remote-files. According to the last Emacs Survey, more than 50%
> of Emacs users don't use Tramp, never ever. But they must live with the
> useless checks in file-name-handler-alist for Tramp. All of them would
> profit, if they add (inhibit-remote-files) in their .emacs file.

May tramp only set file-name-handler-alist when a tramp command is
actually invoked?

Or, alternatively, may we fence the regexp matches in
`file-name-handler-alist' behind boolean switches?
I examined what the actual handlers do, and I can see
`jka-compr-inhibit', `epa-inhibit', `tramp-archive-enabled',
and `tramp-mode' are used to force-execute the original handler. If we
could make Emacs perform these checks earlier, the whole expensive
regexp matching phase could be bypassed.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>