Subject: Re: bug#64735: 29.0.92; find invocations are ~15x slower because of ignores

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 09:45:26 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Eli,

>> Disabling `file-name-handler-alist' cuts the time more than 2x.
>
> Disabling file-handlers is inconceivable in Emacs.

Agreed.

However, the fattest regexps in file-name-handler-alist are those for
tramp-archive-file-name-handler, tramp-completion-file-name-handler and
tramp-file-name-handler. Somewhere else I have proposed to write a macro
without-remote-files and a command inhibit-remote-files, which disable
Tramp and remove its file name handlers from file-name-handler-alist.
Either temporarily, or permanent.

Users can call the command, if they know for sure they don't use remote
files ever. Authors could use the macro in case they know for sure they
are working over local files only.

WDYT?

Best regards, Michael.