Subject: bug#64735: 29.0.92; find invocations are ~15x slower because of ignores

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 22:27:26 +0300

On 23/07/2023 20:56, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> And, ideally, do all the relevant benchmarking when proposing the change.
> Of course.  Although the benchmarks until now already show quite a
> variability.

Speaking of your MS Windows results that are unflattering to 'find', it 
might be worth it to do a more varied comparison, to determine the 
OS-specific bottleneck.

Off the top of my head, here are some possibilities:

1. 'find' itself is much slower there. There is room for improvement in 
the port.

2. The process output handling is worse.

3. Something particular to the project being used for the test.

To look into the possibility #1, you can try running the same command in 
the terminal with the output to NUL and comparing the runtime to what's 
reported in the benchmark.

I actually remember, from my time on MS Windows about 10 years ago, that 
some older ports of 'find' and/or 'grep' did have performance problems, 
but IIRC ezwinports contained the improved versions.