Subject: Re: bug#64735: 29.0.92; find invocations are ~15x slower because of ignores

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 05:40:41 +0000

Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]> writes:

> On remote host, I can see that `find-lisp-find-files' must use
> tramp entries in `file-name-handler-alist'. Although, it will likely not
> be usable then - running GNU find on remote host is going to be
> unbeatable compared to repetitive TRAMP queries for file listing.

That said, Michael, may you please provide some insight about TRAMP
directory listing queries. May they be more optimized when we need to
query recursively rather than per directory?

GNU find is faster simply because it is running on remote machine itself.
But AFAIU, if TRAMP could convert repetitive network request for each
directory into a single request, it would speed things up significantly.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>